Changing the world, One Teacher at a time.

Hello and welcome to my blog page! What made me decide to jump into the blogger world you might ask? My best friend, Esther! She got me started with her fabulous sight "Crowned with Laurel" about her families journey to find their children.

I am a very passionate individual that believes every child deserves the best I have to offer as a teacher and human being. It is my hope that I can be a model to all I meet by living a life of abundance with grace and integrity. My role model was my grandmother-Grandma B. She had love in her heart for everyone and taught me everything I know about sewing, quilting, life and love.

Thursday, October 18, 2007

The Power of the winning team and lessons from the losing team

Stretch is really a great football player. He has taken suggestions, practiced hard, and really began to hone his craft. I am really impressed at how much he has put into this. Unfortunately, his team has only won one game this whole session. With one more game to go, it doesn't look to be a very promising season. Personally, I am very proud of the effort and improvement the entire team has made! Funny the coach said it would probably be the second to the last game before they start playing as a team. He was right. Last Tuesday's game was incredible. The boys were playing as a solid team. Granted they still did not win, but they have bonded, supported, and really become a team. I had to smile when I overheard the coach telling the boys about one of their team members was having a difficult time in one of his classes as there was another student who was tormenting him and he was reacting and getting in trouble so he was disqualified to play in the game. The coach was asking the boys to help him out and look out for him so that when the person who was bothering him started in, they would help him make the right decision and walk away. The heartwarming part was that the two boys that have the same class with this boy, eagerly agreed to support him. WOW! Suddenly, I did not worry so much about my son and if he was making friends and getting along in school.
More importantly than winning a football game, my son has found a place at school where he belongs and has friends and teammates who will support and stand beside him in what can many times be a challenging time in life. Oh speaking of which-check out this link it is so Stretch at this point in his life.
So do I think Smiley has the better end of the deal because his soccer team is undefeated-I don't think so. Maybe it is Stretch and his losing football team that has gained more this year.
I don't know-weigh on this one and tell me what you think!

1 comment:

Esther said...

my kids are on a losing team every year, every sport. I think it has to do with the gene pool in our area. Anyway,

I think the kids learn alot more when on a losing team. They learn about life.

For the first time ever, Lincoln is on a winning team. His football team is undefeated (I guess a different gene pool sign up for football in our neighborhood). It's really nice to win for a change. However, I think the kids learned so much more when on a losing team. They actually "won" in my opinion.