Changing the world, One Teacher at a time.

Hello and welcome to my blog page! What made me decide to jump into the blogger world you might ask? My best friend, Esther! She got me started with her fabulous sight "Crowned with Laurel" about her families journey to find their children.

I am a very passionate individual that believes every child deserves the best I have to offer as a teacher and human being. It is my hope that I can be a model to all I meet by living a life of abundance with grace and integrity. My role model was my grandmother-Grandma B. She had love in her heart for everyone and taught me everything I know about sewing, quilting, life and love.

Monday, October 29, 2007

12 hours later and no relief in sight

Well, there I was happily laying in my nice comfy hospital bed with nice warm blankets on me with a raging temperature. Now by this time I had had one bottle of water since breakfast and it was about 10 pm-oh wait, that nice walk in doc did decide to stick me with one dose of antibiotics in the hip-like that could do any good-at least he tried.

Imagine my further shock when the nurses apologized and said that they really wanted to help me but could not so much as give me an Tylenol until they had doctors orders-this also included WATER! Okay, I can understand the Tylenol, but water. Remember I had been feverish and near delusional all afternoon so it was difficult for me to speak loudly let alone look at anyone. I kept my eyes closed at this point-partly to use yoga meditation to control my leg pain, but also because my head was pounding and the light was killing my eyes.

Not long after I got there they wheeled in an interesting lady who's husband probably stayed for 5 minutes once she was admitted and settled into her bed-something about uncontrolled diabetes type I and she kept crying and asking for her pain meds, hum, after she started listing her ails and the laundry list of narcotics she was taking and would prefer, I quickly realized this was more than likely a narcotic "fix" visit for her. Love those drug seekers. I do genuinely believe that the lady was in pain but to not go to your doctor to get your insulin refilled because you didn't want to pay a copay seems a little stupid, hum more like the doc would not refill any of her meds until she came in to review all the narcotics she was taking.

As all this was going on I was still patiently waiting for the doctor who what supposed to have gotten all the admitting arranged. When he did finally show, imagine my shock when he had very little knowledge as to why I was there. Great! The night had just gotten better. As I was trying to recount the day to give him the details, he lost patience and just wanted the facts-never mind that I was telling him what happened the last time I had gotten cellulitis and hadn't headed the doctors desire to put me in the hospital. Finally, that was finished and I finally got my water, and ice packs under my arms, and warm towels wrapped around my arms (they were trying to get one of my dehydrated veins to pop out so they could tap it for my hep-loc for my IV) Nice, now you say you want a vein. Eventually they did find one in my hand. Happily my nurse felt that she would not be successful at starting the IV line so she asked another nurse to assist her-thank you LORD-at least the IV was placed without any major catastrophe.

Believe it or not, it took the doc quite a while to write orders in my chart so that they could actually start the IV-but by then the Tylenol was starting take effect and the ice was bringing down my temp a bit. I think it was actually about 1:30am before they actually started the first IV of fluids then about 15-20 minutes later before they added the first of the two antibiotics. Finally, my poor mother headed for home-exhausted and promising to come back tomorrow later in the morning as she was sleeping in.

I finally dozed off into oblivion between the nurses taking my vitals and my roommates snoring and whimpering for drugs. Aah the life of Riley-Yeah right!

Oh and I can happily say I can now walk on my foot most of the time without too much pain and my headaches have stopped=YEAH!

No comments: